We started with the dining room first, because it seemed to have the least work to do and we wanted to feel as though we really accomplished something. When we originally looked at the house, there was a huge drum-
set in the room. The walls were patched, and the undercoat was a dirty yellow. But, its a HUGE room, with three large windows at one end and a curved cove at the other. Yes, the light appears to be original, too.
And so, the real work began. We have to re-paint and repair all of the rooms downstairs before we can refinish the floors, and that is another post of course.
I chose a soft lime sage green for the base coat. We had to patch and prime the entire room and ceiling beforehand, though. What we didn’t know at the time, however, was that the ceiling had been wallpapered at one time. That old glue showed up much later, after the whole room had been completed and the ceiling started to peel. Thankfully, it was our first ceiling, so re-doing it was more of a lesson learned well than anything. Bill is still working on that part, but should be done in the next few weeks.
Painting the room was a quick process, but the stenciling took about 6 weeks or so. It was well worth it. Though you can’t tell from these photos, we fixed all the windows, cleaned the hardware and the woodwork. Most of the original hardware appears to be either copper or a rose colored bronze. Most, if not all the windows in the house are dual hung, so that the sashes open from the top and the bottom. We have replaced all the cords here in the dining room, so they are all completely functional. The second phase of the dining room will involved refinishing the floors and getting real furniture. Might be a ways off.
Our last piece of the dining room came as a bit of a surprise to both of us. Bill actually finished the ceiling while I was away this past week and we both decided that the light needed a little something. So, we planned to put a plaster medallion in place around the base, and I thought I could clean the fixture while it was down. Originally, I had thought it was plated with brass or gold and needed to be re-done. However, with a closer look and some cleaning, I discovered that it was silver! And, might not be just silver plate, either. Check out the before and after! Woo hoo, another sweet surprise that the house holds.