Skip to content

the Attic

June 28, 2010
by

When Bill and I were first looking for a house together, there were a few things that I really wanted.  I didn’t care how many bedrooms or baths, and I didn’t care about the year it was built or the style.  Granted, house-hunting is quite different here in New York than anywhere I’ve been.  There aren’t “suburbs” and new construction means “double-wide” or anything after 1960.  So, I adapted with a few requirements that stuck.

First, I wanted a place to garden.  Pulling weeds is relaxing to me, so I need a place to plant things, that I may or may not kill in my own way and time.  (I have started a garden of sorts here and the cherry tomatoes are growing!)

Secondly, I really wanted a fireplace. It is so cold here, and the snow makes that bearable.  But, the fireplace is my winter therapy.  The light even makes a room seem warmer than it is.  We’ve adapted the coal fireplace here to a usable status; so we’ll show you that in a later post.

Lastly, I wanted a walk in attic.

the attic stairs

Now, I didn’t realize that could be something that one could want, until we visited a glorious Federal home a few towns away.  This amazing brick house was a consideration of ours, but the trailer park neighborhood across the street drove away our interest.  However, it had a full walk up attic, where “I” could stand!  And it had windows, and old trunks!  Quickly, needing an attic became a requirement.

East side, and windows to house front

For most of the houses we visited, Bill looked at the attic and the basements first, to give me a full report.  At 60 West Main, it looked promising when I saw the STAIRS that led up to the attic for this house.  Bill shook his head and said, “Well, its a deal breaker, you’re not going to like this.”  I couldn’t have imagined what it would look like.

Windows facing the back yard

The trap door opened to reveal a full walk up attic, with windows on all four sides and the original beams showing their hardy structure.  I was in love, and ready to move my studio in right away.  Apparently, though, I’m not allowed to put a wood stove up there, and its not safe to heat without changing the whole thing.  We would have to put up sheet rock to cover the beams, and insulation and ultimately hide its glory in order to “use” it for living space.

So, instead, I visit it when I can, and I’ve put a light up there so that it shines through the three stained glass windows up there on winter nights.  This year, I might even put a small Christmas tree in one of the front windows.

At the top of the attic stairs

Advertisements
11 Comments leave one →
  1. June 28, 2010 11:30 am

I want to live in your attic.

2. Janet Taylor permalink
    June 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Oh my GOSH! I would also be in love with your attic! What a fantastic space. Heard any “visitors” yet? 😉

3. Lori permalink
    June 28, 2010 1:11 pm

So cool! I never thought I wanted a basement until I moved to Florida. They are unheard of here, so I understand your desire for an attic. I am really enjoying the tour of your house.

4. Katherine (Scheid) Pollard permalink
    June 28, 2010 2:34 pm

makes me think of the “In Grandma’s Attic” books I read when I was a kid. 🙂

5. June 30, 2010 10:14 am

No “visitors” that we know of. The house is very peaceful and quiet. It doesn’t even creak much when we’re walking around. Thanks all for reading!

6. Aaron Cook permalink
    July 1, 2010 3:49 pm

What a great space! If I only had a room like that where I could write. The beams are perfect. It would have been a crime to hide them.

• July 2, 2010 10:59 am

Hi Dear Aaron! thanks for dropping by the blog, it is a great thinking space up there.

7. Debi permalink
    July 1, 2010 6:47 pm

Wow! I do love the attic!
    You guys are awesome to do this blog… I love seeing the transformation!
    Have a great weekend!
    We are heading up to Lake Champlain for a few days…
    Will walk by next week…( I do check your window when I pass by!:O)

8. Aunt Donna permalink
    July 1, 2010 10:59 pm

What a nice attic! It looks so cozy up there. I can picture what it looked like at the turn of the century (19th to 20th) with the trunks placed near one another, ready to pack for a train trip.

9. July 2, 2010 11:00 am

I wish I could store all of my stuff in trunks up there, instead of cardboard. 🙂 It would be amazing to see this house new, as it would have been in 1894.