So, I mentioned in the last post that I was having trouble painting the correct color green on my walls. Today, I’m mixing up the green to match the swatch I’ve chosen and I’ll sit with it in all kinds of light to decide. I’ll paint a test swatch about 2 feet square to see what I think. I’ve already chosen the stencil to go over the entire room, and I’m starting to make that today. Instead of purchasing that stencil, I’m going to cut it myself from a pattern that I found in Victorian wall paper designs. I’ve cut plenty of stencils before, but I’ve never made one that will need to last me a while. This will need to be quite sturdy and accurate. I’ll take pics of the process for you.
In the meantime, here are the before and after pics to show where we’ve been and where we are now. The red in the room before made it a cozy winter color, but it really didn’t match the woodwork or my decor. The green makes the room quite light, so I’ll need to find a way to “warm” it without darkening it too much.
The light has been cleaned and is ready to hang. We think that it is pewter, as the metal is soft. Bill is going to rewire it for safety. It matches the dining room light except for the center pendant. You can see a close up of that light from the previous post on the dining room.
The next steps for this room will include replacing the mantle, which has been refinished and building an extension to it to fit around the pellet stove. Eventually we will refinish the floors and possibly the side door. Maybe, way down the line we will put in cherry crown moulding. Honestly, I’m surprised the house doesn’t have crown moulding in the formal rooms downstairs. Hopefully, we can move in before Christmas.