Bill had the deep desire to create a coffered ceiling in our home since we moved in. The dining room ceiling has already been patched and replastered twice, and repainted twice. . . which is a lot in less than ten years. We think that the plaster or paint has had trouble sticking for a few reasons. . .primarily old adhesive from either a wallpapered ceiling or odd sorts of old paint. Either way, these ceilings crack and flake like nobody’s business. It’s the one thing in the house that we’ve had to compromise on and go with sheetrock because we just can’t keep doing them every two years. What I mean by compromise is that we had ideally wanted to keep the house pure of modern insulation and sheetrock as much as possible.
So, Bill’s coffering plan has come to fruition and he began planning out and making the coffered look happen this past winter. A project this extensive takes forever, partly because I have no carpentry skills and partly because taking up the whole room with scaffolding and tools omits use of the space, in this case, the largest room in our home. That is hard in the winter when we need a big table for kid projects and play. So, I am dying to have this project finished. Especially because the new lights will be stellar, and the newish curtains will be cozy for the winter.
I’ve just finished priming the coffers and I have a plan for how this will all be painted, but Bill still needs wood around the edges and to finish the nail heads. It willl be a few more weeks/months before completed photos are ready.