Several years back, we repaired and prepped the upstairs full bath. Within the first year, the painted walls and ceiling started to crack and peel – due to the high humidity this room gets during showers having no fan or ventilation.
Since then, we added an automatic fan to vent out through the attic roof, but the peeling paint has lingered, along with a hideous tub and surround, of two different colors. Not to mention, I was never truly happy with the color I chose for the new paint and the stencil around the bead-board wainscoting. The photo is the current bath colors, new photos to come.
We’ve decided to overhaul the whole room, except for the original sink. It’s not my favorite sink, but I can’t bare to part with it because it is c. 1894. Plus, it is a beautiful grey marble. (And I found a lovely marbled top vanity to match.)
We’ll put in a new tub and I’d truly like to tile around it instead of acrylic surround. Possibly a new toilet, additional and new lights and definitely new paint and ceiling.
The first part and biggest pain, however is chipping away at the patchy paint on the ceiling. Once I get as much down as possible, I’ll use a strong bonding primer and then patch with joint compound. Our issue might been that we used a shellac primer when we first did the work. While shellac is great between layers of paint, or covering wallpaper with super adhesion, it isn’t the best for humidity. We just didn’t know at the time how humid that room could get.
So this week has been full on scraping, bath and downstairs hallway, which I’ll share in another post.
Maybe next week will bring at least a little paint my way and more time to keep you updated with posts!