Been working on this project now for 3 years, maybe more? I can’t remember at this point. Sometimes I’ll start a project when Bill is happily woodworking on something and then it stays in limbo for several years while I do other stuff. Since pulling down wallpaper in quarter size pieces takes a while, this project has been on the back burner. Besides, the hallway looks slightly like old world antiquity this way and I don’t mind it, as long as it stays clutter free.
I’ll pick the work up once we’re back in the fall and Will is in school. And also once the laundry room, dining room and front porch have their say. It’s all about prioritizing in an old house like this, right?
But, here is what it looks like now. Floors (soft pine) were redone back in 2012 and the piano was a good price from an auction. The hardwood woodwork is ALL cherry and has been unpainted. I clean and polish it from time to time. It has wear, but still resonates beautifully.
The hallway has strange walls, with a slight texture surface. As I’ve peeled back the wallpaper, I’ve discovered what appears to be original stenciling in a chocolate brown color. The original paint appears to be a caramel color with multicolored sponging, but I cannot discern what was really happening there. I’m going to try to recreate the stencil pattern, though. Don’t want to lose that gem!
Bill had the deep desire to create a coffered ceiling in our home since we moved in. The dining room ceiling has already been patched and replastered twice, and repainted twice. . . which is a lot in less than ten years. We think that the plaster or paint has had trouble sticking for a few reasons. . .primarily old adhesive from either a wallpapered ceiling or odd sorts of old paint. Either way, these ceilings crack and flake like nobody’s business. It’s the one thing in the house that we’ve had to compromise on and go with sheetrock because we just can’t keep doing them every two years. What I mean by compromise is that we had ideally wanted to keep the house pure of modern insulation and sheetrock as much as possible.
So, Bill’s coffering plan has come to fruition and he began planning out and making the coffered look happen this past winter. A project this extensive takes forever, partly because I have no carpentry skills and partly because taking up the whole room with scaffolding and tools omits use of the space, in this case, the largest room in our home. That is hard in the winter when we need a big table for kid projects and play. So, I am dying to have this project finished. Especially because the new lights will be stellar, and the newish curtains will be cozy for the winter.
I’ve just finished priming the coffers and I have a plan for how this will all be painted, but Bill still needs wood around the edges and to finish the nail heads. It willl be a few more weeks/months before completed photos are ready.